My Photo
Name:
Location: Escondido, California, United States

-married -have 2 puppies (Oni and Raven) -25 yrs old -full-time student, full-time banker, full-time mommy

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Big Day

On November 7, we had our last prenatal appointment. Our doctor performed another ultrasound to see just how big the baby was since she hadn't dropped yet. The ultrasound determined that she was about 8 1/2 lbs. So our doctor decided to induce me and if that didn't work then she would perform a C-section. "So how does tomorrow sound?" My husband and I looked at eachother in shock and told her that was fine. We started laughing uncontrollably because we were in such shock. We were expecting her to say the next week since that's when I was due. The next morning we arrived at the hospital at about 6:30 and the process was started. Once I put that cute hospital gown on I realized that I was scared shitless. I told my family that I changed my mind and I wanted to go home (joking of course). They wrapped the monitors around my belly and we were able to hear Mina's heartbeat the entire time I was in labor. I was finally given Petocin at 8AM and the contractions slowly started. I had the sweetest nurse in the world. She was so supportive and funny. I had the greatest experience because of her. She answered every question I threw at her. My mom and grandma loved her too. I think my husband did too but he was asleep for the majority of the day. When my nurse first checked to see my progression, I was basically at a fingertip and my cervix was still in tact. A few hours later and after a wonderful nap, my mucous plug was gone and I was effaced 50%. All while taking a nap. My doctor later came and broke my water and I had gone from 1 cm to 3 cm. As soon as my water broke, the contractions came hard and fast. They turned off the Petocin but I was having the contractions on my own. I had originally been against having and epidural but I couldn't take the pain anymore. There weren't any breaks in between contractions and it hurt so bad that I couldn't help but cry. So I got my epidural which surprisingly was a piece of cake. The baby finally dropped and I started feeling the pressure more. It was extremely uncomfortable. I finally broke down and wanted to have the C-section. The doctor agreed because I wouldn't dilate past 4 cm. So after 12 hours of labor, I was whisked away to the OR. I was beyond scared. My fear was not having enough anesthesia and being able to feel the cutting. They had already started when they brought my husband in. He said it was the longest 5 minutes he's ever had to wait. It seemed like he had just gotten there when we heard Mina cry. They raised her over the sheet and I started balling like a baby. All of that work for that one moment. My husband got to see me cut open and he was very distracted by that. They cleaned Mina up and my husband left with her and the nurse. I was left by myself for the rest of the operation. It was the longest 30 minutes of my life and uncomfortable. Mina was born on November 8, 2005 at 9:33 PM. She weighed 7lbs 9 oz (to my doctors surprise) and was 20" long. She's perfect! It was so worth it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you had to have a C section after all, but I know it's all worth it in the end! :-D

As Emily says, post pictures!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Well it's ABOUT TIME! (And sorry it took me so long to realize you'd posted!)

I saw her pics on your MySpace and she is adorable!!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home