My Photo
Name:
Location: Escondido, California, United States

-married -have 2 puppies (Oni and Raven) -25 yrs old -full-time student, full-time banker, full-time mommy

Saturday, November 05, 2005

She's Just As Stubborn As Us

This past Tuesday we had our regular Dr's appointment. I was really excited that day because we all thought that the baby had started to drop. So I was thinking that we were getting really close to labor time. So our doctor comes in and does her normal thing. I asked her if the baby had definitely started to drop. The answer: No. Obviously my little bubble of excitement was busted. Actually, fear and panic started to take over. Two weeks ago I asked our doctor what would happen if she didn't drop. She told me I'd probably have to have a C-section. So I started worrying that I would have to have a C-section and honestly I'm still freaking out about it. I don't want a C-section!!!!! Why? It's simple.
  • It's SURGERY. I've had 3 already and I don't want another.
  • You're awake while they do it. How creepy is that?!
  • One word...EPIDURAL. I watched my mom get one and I saw how big that needle is.
  • You don't get to participate in the birth of your baby. So important to me.
  • It's better for the baby in the long run. That's my Human Development mode kicking in.
  • Recovery time is generally longer.
  • It's SURGERY!

I know it may seem that I'm overreacting especially to women who have had C-sections but this is my first baby and obviously I'm nervous. I'm not even nervous about having a natural childbirth. I pretty much know what to expect. With a C-section, I don't know what to expect. I know the procedure and that's it. Last night I woke up to go to the bathroom and I couldn't go back to sleep because I kept thinking about stupid C-sections. Don't get me wrong though. If I have to have one then I'll have one. What ever it takes to have this baby and for her to be healthy. And thanks, Em. I believe you have jinxed me. Mina obviously doesn't want to come out. She's comfortable and stubborn. So instead of Emily's mantra of "twins, twins, twins, split, split, split." I say, "drop, drop, drop, listen to your mommy and drop."

3 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Drop Mina drop! Mommy is freaking out!
(But seriously Ms. Q, don't worry! It will all be fine in the long run.)

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kiwi! Just thought I'd call by to tell you that first babies often don't drop until the last minute! I can't see that there's any reason why the baby not having dropped yet would lead anyone to think you might need a C section.

Have your pre-natal carers told you about Optimum Fetal (note the American spelling, just for you ;-) ) Positioning?

To achieve OFP it's recommended that you spend some time each day on your hands and knees, so you might as well give the kitchen floor a scrub while you're down there ;-D

What you do is rock on your hands and knees and alternately arch your back and hollow it, which encourages the baby to get into a postition with its back to your front. This way its head is in the right position to go down into the pelvis. It will also then be in the right position so that the crown of its head can be born first - much more comfortable (if that's the right word) for both of you!

Just 'sticking my oar in', as usual!

Good luck! :-)

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooops! TOO LATE! ;-D
Just heard your news!

Congratulations, and welcome to Mina! :-D

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home